November 2018: I am matched with an 8th grade pen-pal in southern California. I sent off my first letter to my pen-pal. We will exchange four sets of letters throughout the school year. In this first letter, I talked about what it is like to be a marine scientist and what a day in my life looks like. Learn more about this organization and their mission here.
July 2018: I gave a talk about my research on northern elephant seals to high school students as part of the California Ocean Alliance’s Marine Mammal Scientist in Training (MMST) program. Learn more about this non-profit’s work
June 2018: The Mehta lab led an outreach activity at the Santa Cruz Boy’s and Girl’s Club. We set up three different stations so that students learned about different aspects of fish morphology and the relationship between animal structures and functions.
- Nifty Fifty Scientist speaker series, San Diego, CA (2012, 2013)
- Docents training, San Diego Natural History Museum, San Diego, CA (2013)
- Guest Scientist, La Mesa Dale Elementary School, San Diego, CA (2012)
- Women in Scientists in Action Camp, Reuben H. Fleet Science Center, San Diego, CA (2011)
- Guest Presenter, Health Sciences High and Middle College, San Diego, CA (2011)